“In health and in sickness pure water is one of Heaven’s choicest blessings. Its proper use promotes health. It is the beverage which God provided to quench the thirst of animals and man. Drunk freely, it helps to supply the necessities of the system and assists nature to resist disease. The external application of water is one of the easiest and most satisfactory ways of regulating the circulation of the blood.” My Life Today – Page 139
The body’s major chemical component is water. It makes up 60% of body weight.
WHAT WATER DOES INSIDE THE BODY :
- Water carries nutrients to the different cells of the body.
- It flushes toxins out.
- Water forms blood and other body fluids.
- It keeps skin soft and moist.
- It lubricates all joints and the different organs.
- Water makes virtually all body functions possible.
- It promotes regularity in bowel movement.
HOW MUCH WATER DOES THE BODY NEED?
The body’s water need depends on a variety of factors, such as what one eats, how hot or humid the weather is, and the amount one exercises. Doing aerobic exercise makes one lose water more rapidly than when one is at rest. To meet the body’s need for water, one should take in 8 to 12 cups of water daily. Drink an additional 1 to 3 cups per hour of strenuous exercise.
THE RESULT OF LACK OR LOSS OF WATER IN THE BODY
The result of 10 % body water lose is very serious. A 20 % loss of body water is fatal.
A LACK OF WATER –
• Dehydrates the fluids, tissues, and cells of the body,
• Causes the blood to thicken, increasing the risks of stroke and heart disease,
• Can mimic hypoglycemia, causing headaches, tiredness, and fainting spells.
WAYS THE BODY LOSES WATER
The body normally loses ten to twelve cups of water every day through:
- The kidneys, as urine,
- The skin, as perspiration, and
- The lungs, as moist air.
The body could also lose water when –
- There is an open wound, fever, or vomiting,
- Sugar laden beverages are drank,
- Caffeine and alcohol are taken. (Both are diuretics)
TIPS ON DRINKING WATER
- Pure plain water is the best way to replace the fluid you need.
- Don’t drink water with meals. It dilutes the gastric juices and slows the digestive juices. The best time to drink is between meals, beginning an hour after eating, until thirty minutes before the next meal.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Twenty percents(20%) of our daily water intake comes from the food we eat.
- Drink water upon waking up in the morning. It helps prevent stroke and heart attack from occurring.